Lorenzo Cassi was born in Borgonovo Val Tidone, in the province of Piacenza on June 6th, 1974. He received his diploma at the International School of Violin Making in Cremona in 1997 under the guidance of Master Vincenzo Bissolotti, who taught him the classical Cremonese method of making. This method uses the internal mould as a basis for constructing instruments, and Lorenzo faithfully continues to follow this tradition.
After completing the violin school, he worked and collaborated in the workshop of Master Violin Maker Francesco Bissolotti where he specialized in costructing violins, violas and violoncellos. After four years in the Bissolotti workshop, he and his wife Kathrin opened in 2001 their own workshop in the heart of Cremona.
In 2010 he moved to Pianello Val Tidone (Piacenza), where he gows up. There, with the indispensable help of his wife Kathrin, continues to follow the traditional "cremonese" method, linked to an important classic master violinmaker native of Valley of Tidone: Giovan Battista Guadagnini, born in 1711 in Bilegno near Borgonovo Val Tidone - few kilometers away from Pianello.
Lorenzo's work is refined and elegant and he seeks to reinterpret the models of the classic Cremonese makers such as Antonio Stradivari, Giuseppe Guarneri del Gesù and Nicolò Amati as well as the models of the Brescians such as Gasparo da Salò, and that of the Venetians such as Domenico Montagnana.
He continually searches to create instruments with a sound which is powerful and rich in harmonics coupled with aesthetics which are well proportioned and elegant. His instruments all bear the mark of his distinct personality and reflect his passion for his craft.